Beyond The Stunning Beauty of Amethyst
If you love the color purple (not the movie starring Oprah Winfrey) then you have to have an amethyst either as an accessory, a healing crystal or somewhere in your home.
Amethyst is one of the most popular crystals today and it comes in many shades of purple, from pale lilac to deep purple with red highlights. Because of its color and its luxurious quality, it is associated with nobility and regal bearing.
The word amethyst is from the Greek phrase “a-metusthos” meaning “not intoxicated”. Legend has it that the wine god Bacchus became angry over an insult and wanted to avenge himself. So he decided that the first person he should meet would be devoured by tigers. Unfortunately, it was a beautiful maiden named Amethyst who was on her way to worship at the shrine of Diana. As the ferocious tigers attacked, she asked the protection of the goddess and was saved by being turned into a clear white crystal. Bacchus immediately regretted his cruelty poured the nectar of his grapes over the crystal as an offering, giving the gem its lovely purple color.
Amethyst, by virtue of its name, is said to prevent drunkenness and has a sobering effect, but there are so many other benefits this stunning crystal can provide.
- Helps you break free from addictions to food, sex and drugs
- Reduces bruises, injuries and swelling
- Strengthens the immune system and speeds up healing
- Relieves headaches, releases stress and tension and minimizes pain
- Heals insomnia and provides a restful sleep
- Improves one’s intellect; provides clarity of thought which leads to good judgment
- Calms those who are hot-headed and easily angered
- Provides comfort during the loss of a loved one, sadness and painful experiences
- Centers those who are overworked, overstressed and overwhelmed
- Emanates powerful energy that helps one stay focused and productive
- Enhances psychic abilities and guards against external attacks
- Balances/connects physical, mental and emotional state and elevates it to the spiritual plane
- Conducive to meditation and quieting one’s thoughts in prayer
- Cleanses one’s energy of negative influences and attachments
- Creates a spiritual and protective shield of light